The Jordan Trail exits Karak at its southern fortifications and moves downward into a beautiful winding valley. Perched atop a series of cliffs on the opposite side of the valley is the village of Shehabieh, originally called Ifranji by the Crusaders who settled there after the fall of Karak’s castle. Further down the valley, walkers reach the abandoned old village of Khirbet Ainun, situated dramatically above an oxbow bend in the wadi.
Continuing, the trail rises onto a fertile plain and descends to Al-Iraq, its orchards and olive groves overlooking Wadi Numeira. The trail then crosses another hill before reaching the rim of the impressive Wadi Hasa, cutting a cleft 1000 meters deep into the landscape above the southern end of the Dead Sea. Descending, the trail follows a track between the towering limestone cliffs of Tor al-Taboun, zigzagging down to cross the wadi bed and climb up the other side, passing Bedouin encampments on the way.
Upon returning to the plateau, the trail follows an undulating ridge southward before running through a number of villages east of Tafileh and then reaching the Edomite ruins at Sela and Mi’tan. After moving on through the deep Wadi Labun, the trail turns to easier terrain as it passes over the next hill to the restored village of Dana, its hotels and campsite resting on the rim of Wadi Dana at the edge of the RSCN Reserve.
Note that there is an entrance fee to the Dana reserve.
Length: 83.2 Km
Main sites in the Karak Region: