SECTION 301: AS-SALT TO IRAQ AL-AMIR
What’s App: +962 7 7099 1814
* When contacting Tourism Police for emergency identify that you are hiking the Jordan Trail, state your nationality, location and map name & number.
Bashir +962 7 7844 2200
Head to the Salt city center and then down the valley following tracks and country roads through small farm holdings and rising up over the hills and down to the Hellenistic site of Iraq Al-Amir with its adjacent caves dating from the Copper Age 5000 years ago. There are a Women’s Craft Cooperative here and homestays.
Taxis from Salt can taxi you to Iraq al-Amir.
Iraq al-Amir Women’s Cooperative Guesthouse, $, women’s center that also sells local crafts and runs a traditional restaurant
- Salt Handicraft Training Centre
- Salt – Orthodox Church
- Salt – Ottoman Mosque
- Salt – Beit Abu Jaber
- Qasr Al-Abd (no entrance fees, open all day)
- Iraq Al-Amir Women Cooperative Society (toilets, food, soft drinks, overnight)
- Restaurants and minimarkets in Salt and Iraq al-Amir
- Many houses along the way
- Ejimi Spring – a cistern is on right side of road with water running through (definitely purify before drinking)
- Tlal al Balut Park (Hills of Oak) – Rest house with garden, shade, WC, and cold drinks
- Most of the day is on paved roads.
- Be ready for a few steep sections on and off road throughout day.
- ATMs can be found in the city of Salt.
- Toilets available in restaurants in Salt and Iraq Al-Amir
- Mobile service available along the trail
- Animals – There are many dogs along the way, especially at beginning.
- Dehydration/heat exhaustion – Shade can be found along the way. If starting early, much of the path is in the shade on the west side of the hill. Moderate elevations keep temperatures cooler
In Jordan Company
- Hesham Awamleh: 00962796666782
- Ghalib Abbadi (Taxi Driver from Iraq Al-Amir) – 0772193218
- Abu Omar (Iraq Al-Amir Village, Qasr Al-Abd Guard) – 0777780115
- Iraq Al-Amir Women Cooperative Society:
- Land Phone: 06 548 1385
- Ina’am Al-Sakarne: 0777351620
- Yusra: 077 593 1563