SECTION 803: SHAKRIYA TO WADI RUM
What’s App: +962 7 7099 1814
* When contacting Tourism Police for emergency identify that you are hiking the Jordan Trail, state your nationality, location and map name & number.
JTA office: +962 6 461 0999
(Working Hours: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Sunday- Thursday)
From Shakriya, head straight south, crossing the railroad tracks and a paved road to join the main road into the Wadi Rum Visitor’s Center visible ahead with a large entryway. From the Visitor Center, Rum village is visible straight-ahead 7km to the south.
Continue along the valley to the east of the road to pass farther from the traffic, or alternately walk right along the road all the way into the village to get there faster and take a break from the sand. The Wadi Rum Rest House is on the right at the entrance of Rum village, with small shops for resupply nearby.
- Rum-Aqaba bus, no fixed schedule, bus departs when driver feels like it
- There is no bus from Rum to Petra
- Private taxis on roads, and jeeps/pickups on unpaved desert roads
- Wild camping, Abdullah Al Zalabieh, +962776976356
- Wild camping, Abdullah Al Swalheen, +962797177347
- Wadi Rum
- The “Seven Pillars of Wisdom”
- Jebel Rum
- Jebel Um Ishrin
- Snacks and drinks available at Rum Visitor Center
- Small shops in Rum village
- Shakriya, Visitor Center and Rum village
- Day is short and near the road. Many may prefer walk road faster and get in, or combine with the previous day stage.
- Loose footing – You will be walking through sand, unless you choose to walk the road.
- Dehydration/heat exhaustion – Very little shade, but distances between villages and Visitor Center are not very long.
- Military base – There is a military school in the village of Shakriya, which has not been an issue with any hikers.