SECTION 101 : UM QAIS TO ZIGLAB
- Route Map
- Google Map
- Elevation Chart
What’s App: +962 7 7099 1814
* When contacting Tourism Police for emergency identify that you are hiking the Jordan Trail, state your nationality, location and map name & number.
Bashir +962 7 7844 2200
It’s the first day, so nice to begin downhill. Starting at the basalt ruins of the Decapolis of Um Qais overlooking the Sea of Galilee, we head down towards the Arab Dam, reaching Tel Mazraa’ at the water’s edge. We then follow the south side of the reservoir before climbing hills to a flat rich agriculture plain and the village of Zabda. Beyond, we drop down and follow Wadi Darraba and Quseiba to the weat, finally heading south and crossing Wadi et Taiyiba to the Ziglab Lake and Eco Park. A beautiful hike especially nice in the Spring.
- Rawan Homestay, 0775411237
- Beit Al Barakah, 0776667660
- Gadera Rent Room, contact Ahmad Omari
- Philodemus Camp, contact Ahmad Omari
- Sharhabil Bin Hassneh EcoPark, ecolodges and camping, $, (0)79-8100411, jordanecopark.com
- Um Qais Roman Ruins
- Wadi al-Arab Dam
- Tel Zar’a and Rock Climbing
- Zabda & Makhraba
- Wild Boar
- Restaurants in Um Qais
- Shops in Um Qais, Murshid, Makhraba, Waqas
- Meals are available at the Sharhabil Bin Hassneh EcoPark.
- Villages and shops along the way
- Um Qais Spring: said not to be trusted for drinking due to runoff
- Wadi Makrab Spring: flowing at time of research (purify before drinking, could require digging)
- Be ready for the long, steep uphill in middle of the day.
- The lower, second half of the route can get quite hot later in the day, especially outside of winter.
- Route is waymarked and used frequently.
- Exposed edges – Minor, short section after Ein Um Qais
- Flash flood dangers: Wadi Quseib (mild risk)
- Loose footing – Downhill from Um Qais at beginning, Wadi Quseib
- Animals – Shepherd dogs are present in a few places, mostly controlled well by owners
- Dehydration/heat exhaustion – Take extra care, especially in hotter, lower section after Zabda
Ahmad Omari (Um Qais)- 0772426768
Othman Tawalbe (Ziglab) – 0798100427